Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Henrik Stenson has been named the European Tour Golfer of the Year

9:05 AM

Share it Please
Swedish star Henrik Stenson has been named the European Tour Golfer of the Year for 2013 after capturing the major money titles on both sides of the Atlantic.
 
Stenson capped a memorable comeback year by winning the season-ending DP World Tour Championship to clinch the Race to Dubai title having already banked a $10m bonus in the United States with victory in the FedEx Cup.

Henrik Stenson

  • Age: 37
  • Professional wins: 16
  • Current Ranking: 3rd
  • Had been as low as 230 in rankings at start of 2012
  • Finished 2nd at the Open & 3rd in USPGA
  • Won Deutsche Bank Championship in September
  • Won Tour Championship & FedEx Cup
  • Won World Tour Ch'ship & Race To Dubai

Stenson's achievements were remarkable considering he was ranked only 230th in the world at the start of 2012.

The Swede made encouraging progress last year before igniting a surge up the world rankings with victory at the South African Open, breaking a five-year title drought on the European Tour.
 
The 37-year-old was a model of consistency over the first half of 2013, posting three top-10 finishes on the PGA Tour while finishing 18th at the Masters and 21st in the US Open.

Hot summer

But he was the hottest player in the world from July onwards, starting a sparkling run of form with a third-place finish at the Scottish Open.

He was runner up to Phil Mickelson at the Open Championship and was also second at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational before finishing third in the PGA Championship.

Stenson then won twice during the FedEx Cup play-offs, including a dominant victory in the Tour Championship which secured the overall title.
Famous faces praise Henrik

Returning to the European Tour, he struggled with a wrist problem over the first two events of the inaugural Finals Series before cementing his place at the top of the Race to Dubai with a seventh place in Turkey.

He was in a class of his own during the season finale in Dubai, closing with his second 64 of the week to cruise to a six-shot victory and become the first player to win the FedEx Cup and the Race to Dubai in the same season.
Honour
"It's a big honour to be voted the European Tour Golfer of the Year," Stenson said. "It just reflects the stellar year I have had.
 
"You can call it a dream season, year of my life, whatever you want. It has been an unbelievable year and I am delighted to win this award, especially as I am the first Swede to do so.

"You look at the past winners of this award and most of the greats of European golf are on there, which just adds to the prestige of winning it. To win the FedEx Cup and the American Tour Championship in some style and then follow that by taking The Race to Dubai was very special.
Butch looks at Stenson's swing

"Winning the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai, where I had made my home for 10 years, in the style I won it, in front of so many family and friends, was something I will never forget.
 
"I'm not sure how I top it to be honest. I am not sure many people will get the chance to do what I did this year but I just need to keep working hard and pushing forward.
 
"The majors are the biggest goal for me now and if I can continue to play at the level I have been then I feel I can have a pretty good shot at them."

3 comments:

  1. He has indeed the look and the image of being a champion at the age of 37 im sure his training and abilities im sure in no time he will be ranked #3.Colorado Golf Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article has inspired me to golf and also some minor deficiencies. See more at golf to be more complete https://bit.ly/2JRKAsG


    ReplyDelete