Sunday, December 15, 2013

Lahiri aims to learn from fourth place finish

5:03 AM

Share it Please
Bangkok, December 15: India’s Anirban Lahiri was a dejected man after finishing tied fourth at the Thailand Golf Championship on Sunday but believes he will come out stronger in the New Year.

The 26-year-old failed to challenge for the title at Amata Spring Country Club, closing with a one-over-par 73 to share fourth place with last year’s champion Charl Schwartzel of South Africa, world number four Justin Rose of England and Japan’s Yuki Kono.

“It was a disappointing round today. I don’t think I was as focused as I needed to be on the greens. I missed a lot of putts, especially on the back nine. I couldn’t get any momentum. Any time I hit a good shot, I would miss the putt,” said Lahiri, who is fifth on the Asian Tour’s Order of Merit.

“I just made two bogeys today, and one birdie, and there are lots of birdies on this golf course to be made. So I felt like quite disappointed. It was probably my worst round of golf in three tournaments, so not a great time but still happy with the way I played this week.”

Lahiri enjoyed the experience of playing alongside winner Sergio Garcia and world number three Henrik Stenson in the final group in the final round, saying it would come to good stead when he gets back into a similar situation in the future.

“I think it’s been a positive week for me, a great experience playing with Henrik and Rickie (Fowler) yesterday and Sergio, to see how all the best in the world go about their business, tells you what you need to bring about in your own game,” said Lahiri.

“Personally with my game, I think the putter ran hot and cold. It was really good the last couple of days. I had to just keep it going, nine more holes maybe today. But I’m happy. There’s a lot of work I need to do on my game but it’s been a good year. I’m looking forward to some time off, feeling a bit tired as well,” added the Indian.

With one win and six top-10s, including three runner-up finishes, Lahiri is poised to enjoy his best season of his burgeoning career.

“I think this is probably my most consistent year. I’ve played really solid golf. My game has become much sharper than it was. In terms of my ball striking, I think it’s been on and off. It comes and goes. But what I’m really happy about is I’ve played 11 out of the last 12 weeks, and I’m not tired mentally. That is something that would have been the case two or three years ago but now mentally, I think I’m a much stronger person and not just strength but endurance,” said Lahiri.

“Maturity will come I guess. I am now getting to 26 now and I was playing with Rickie yesterday and I was the oldest guy in the group. So, six years on Tour, the experience should be there, so hopefully draw on it and win a few more events.”

About the Thailand Golf Championship

The primary organizers of the event are Gulf Sports Management, the Asian Tour and IMG. They have been well supported by both government and private organizations such as Siam Commercial Bank, Gulf JP, Toyota, Tourism Authority of Thailand, PTT Public Company Ltd, PTT Global Chemical Public Company Limited, PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited, Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited, Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, Thaioil, IRPC, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Omega, Nooter / Eriksen, Samithivej Hospital, Starwood, CNN, SuperSports, Heineken, Ricoh, Graham Beck Wines, EST Cola, Panasonic, Srixon, Central Pattana, Bangkok Post and Amata Spring Country Club.

Thailand Golf Championship tickets are available at Thaiticketmajor at Baht 300 each for Round 1 and 2 (December 12 and 13). The price for Round 3 (December 14) is Baht 400, and for the final day on December 15 the price is Baht 500. A 4-day package ticket is only Baht 800. Children below the age of 16 and senior citizens 60-years-old and over can enjoy Thailand Golf Championship for free.

0 comments:

Post a Comment