Saturday, December 21, 2013

Momentum, '14 major venues have Woods optimistic

4:40 PM

Share it Please
Coming off a season in which he won five times and returned to the top of the world rankings,Tiger Woods explained in a blog post Thursday that he already has his eyes set on 2014.

"I'm really looking forward to next year," Woods wrote in a column posted on his website. "I played well at the end of this year, so it's nice to have some momentum heading into 2014."

After finishing second to Zach Johnson at the Northwestern Mutual World Challenge earlier this month, Woods confirmed that he plans to spend some time away from the golf course in the coming weeks before making his 2014 debut at the Farmers Insurance Open in January.

"I'm going to put my clubs away for a while to spend more time with my kids and support my girlfriend Lindsey Vonn as she tries to prepare for the Sochi Olympics," he wrote.

Now nearly six years since his last major title, Woods explained that he is eager to tackle a 2014 slate of major venues upon which he has had considerable success.

"I've won at three of the four venues - Augusta National, Valhalla Golf Club and Royal Liverpool - and on Pinehurst No. 2, I'm trending the right way," noted Woods, who finished third at the 1999 U.S. Open at Pinehurst and second six years later. "But I still need to practice, work, grind and prepare, and have my game come together those four times a year, and I hope that will happen."

Woods ended his note with a shout out to his alma mater, Stanford, whose football team will play Michigan State in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1.

"What Coach (David) Shaw has done with that program ... it's top-notch," he added. "Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the Rose Bowl, but I already have a place picked out to watch it."

0 comments:

Post a Comment