Saturday, December 21, 2013

Tiger on hand to support Vonn

4:16 PM

Share it Please
Tiger Woods travelled to France this weekend to support his girlfriend Lindsay Vonn as she took to the slopes.

Vonn is participating in the Audi FIS Alpine Ski World Cup as she looks to make a full recovery from a recent knee injury and be fit in time for the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia - now less than two months away.

"It's been tough with my ACL injury, but I'm feeling good," Vonn told reporters ahead of the event.

Woods, meanwhile, wrote in a blog post on his website that he would taking some time away from his own preparation for next season to support Vonn and spend time with his children.

Having struggled with a similar injury in his own career, Woods wrote that he was in a unique position to offer her advice.

"Having experienced reconstructive surgery on my knee and the ensuing rehab, and the amount of pain associated with it, it's really hard to explain to anybody else unless you've been through it," wrote Woods.

"I've had my share of experiences in that regard - unfortunately - but I think it helps her in a sense because she can bounce ideas off me about what to expect.

"We see our sports through the same looking glass in how we approach them. We both work very hard and are prepared for our seasons. And when we're ready to go, we give it everything we possibly have and there's no holding back.

"I think that's some of our commonalities. But she has to be way more aggressive in her sport than I have to be in mine. You're trying to make your way down a mountain at 80-plus mph, and you have to have the adrenaline and the aggressiveness to do it. But for me, I'm trying to tone everything down mentally. I'm trying to play within myself and do all the little things. So that part of it is way different.

"But I think it's the preparation that we both appreciate and the fact that we can do it time and time again, and we've done it for a long period of time. It's not a flash in the pan, and you just don't do it for one year -- she's done it for 13 years, and I've done it for 18 years.

"As far as Lindsey competing in Sochi, we're very hopeful. It all depends on how that knee is."

This is also the first time since the pair made their relationship public that Woods is on hand to see Vonn compete.

0 comments:

Post a Comment