Saturday, November 30, 2013

Ashes: Rory McIlroy backing Australia to continue winning ways in Adelaide

11:04 PM

Share it Please
Rory McIlroy admits he is taking more enjoyment out of the current Ashes series than he is from his exploits on the golf course.
After completing what he described as a 'wasteful' round on the opening day of the Australian Open, the Northern Irishman mimicked Andy Murray when asked who he was following in the cricket.
Wimbledon champion Murray once said he'd back whoever England faced during World Cup matches and McIlroy, who posted a first-round 69 in Sydney to lie seven shots behind Adam Scott, joked: "I suppose it's anyone but England.
"I must say I do like it when the Ashes comes around and I watched the cricket from Brisbane last week.
"I have always been interested in the Ashes and when I was back home a few years ago I remember getting up at midnight to watch the first ball bowled in the Boxing Day Test match.
"The Aussies had a pretty convincing victory up there in Brisbane... so hopefully more of the same (in Adelaide).
"The sledging this year has been a bit worse than other years. It looks like they are having a go at each other after every ball and it would be really tough to take that for too long."
Of his round, McIlroy, who is without a tournament victory this year and has slipped to No 6 in the world, said: "I left three or four short putts out there which was just wasteful.
"I felt it could have been a lot lower. Off the tee, I'm driving the ball the best I ever have, it's just a matter of being more efficient and scoring better.
"And when you see someone at 10 under par, especially when you see it's Adam Scott, I felt like I was in neutral at three under and not making birdies."

0 comments:

Post a Comment