Thursday, December 12, 2013

Greg Norman on Tiger Woods: 'I probably would have beat him' in my prime

5:21 AM

Share it Please
A young Greg Norman vs. a young Tiger Woods? Norman would have liked his chances.

Early in a lengthy first-person article for Golf.com, Norman said he'd have been a handful for the all-time greats, including Woods:

A lot of people ask how I'd stack up against today's players if I had use of modern equipment. Listen, it's not about the gear. Winning is about what's in your heart and in your head. Equipment dictates how to play the game in an era, but the physical and mental skills are the same. And I had them. I never feared anything or anyone on the course, and I wasn't afraid to fail. So I think I'd do pretty well against Snead, Hogan, Tiger and Phil -- whoever. Tiger's a tough guy, but I was a tough guy on the course, too. I probably would have beat him.

Norman, now 58, might be fearless on the course, but he's mostly known, right or wrong, for failing in majors. He has claimed just two Grand Slam victories, both at the British Open, and his stumbles at the Masters have become the stuff of legend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment