Thursday, December 12, 2013

Nelson Mandela Championship: Daniel Brooks leads in Durban

4:31 AM

Share it Please
Englishman Daniel Brooks shot a flawless eight-under-par 62 to claim a one-shot lead at the rain-affected Nelson Mandela Championship.

Play was delayed for nearly seven hours at Durban's Mount Edgecombe course on Wednesday due to a water-logged course, but when the players finally did get to start their first rounds, there were plenty of birdies on offer.

Brooks, who had to return to Q-School last month after a disappointing rookie campaign in 2013, made four birdies in the space of five holes and eight in all to lead by one over Frenchman Francois Calmels.

Two more men from France, Edouard Dubois and Romain Wattel, share third place on six under.

More than half the field are yet to complete their first rounds, but Brooks was more than pleased with his early gains.
Long day

"It's been a long day," said Brooks. "I was completely focused on getting to the 18th tee box when we got called in. That probably helped, in a way, because I just kept playing and the result was good.

"I pretty much holed everything I looked at, which was quite nice," he added. "I haven't putted that great over the last couple of weeks, so to hole a few was pretty nice."

Second-placed Calmels, meanwhile, is fresh off a victory at an event in Mauritius last week.

"It was a great week for me," said the Challenge Tour graduate. "I made a great last round 65 to win by one over Hennie [Otto], and that give me quite a bit of self-confidence.

"I know I'm playing well, and the great round today was just perfect."

With the round incomplete, first round play will resume at 6am, with the second round scheduled to get underway at 10.50am as organisers battle to get play back on schedule.

0 comments:

Post a Comment